Translate

Friday, July 29, 2016

Why is it called দূৰদৰ্শন / Doordarshan

Does our DD (Doordarshan) possess any 'darshan' (vision) at all?

Recently I saw repeat telecast of 'Mullah Masruddin' TV Serial in DD Bharti. I saw it in 1990 in DD-1. It was an amazing work and always wanted to show it to my son.

However, the quality was incredibly poor. I am sure it was stored on some VHS, and that too, was used a number of times. There was too much colour bleeding, and effective resolution was around 144p.

This itself speaks a lot about our mentality towards quality and prevervation. Everywhere just the lowly commercial attitude - 'Paisa Hajm, Baat Khatm'. It seems even Bollywood does not preserve their films well. You won't find a fine quality broadcast in any channel of a 20 years old movie also.

Anyway, I got over enthusiastic and contacted DD Bharti over mail. Well, out of two addresses, one failed. Good enough, I thought, for a government organisation.

Then I got the reply from some wise guy at DD-Bharti, that "Since ' Mulla Nasiruddin"  is a old programme, video quality does suffer in spite of restoration.". Well well! So in just 25 years, the U-Matic quality worsened automatically to 144p. And that too after restoration? Does these fellows ever saw the quality of 90 years old movie Metropolis which was which was stitched back together after WW2, restored and released in 1080p, or even the 70 years old Loony Tunes that were restored and released in 1080p? 
How these good for nothing liars managed to grab a job at all in our public organisations?

Anyway, I replied that I want to purchase all 13 episodes & even want to help them restore it if needed. 

But probably he fell into long hibernation already. After my 3rd reminder, he suddenly woke up and thrown the following 'letterbomb' at me "The total cost would be Rs.17,530/- ( Rs.Seventeen Thousand Five Hundred and Thirty only) including a Service Tax component of Rs.830/-. However, this sale shall be for personal use and not for any public showcasing"

To summarise:
  • They telecast an item for public over a free-to-receive channel, but they would sell it at a exorbitant price... and that too for 'private' viewing!
  • They do not know basic preservation techniques , let alone restoration. So all our DD National serials are rotting in their disposal.
  • They lie shamelessly to public.
So dear reader, now you knew what type of darshan (vision) they have. Yes, it is sick or ill-vision, that was it is called Dooh-darshan = Doordarshan (দু:-দৰ্শন = দূৰদৰ্শন )!

No comments:

Post a Comment