Translate

Friday, July 29, 2016

বৈজ্ঞানিক কোন? / What makes a scientist?

কেইবছৰমান আগৰ কথা৷ আমাৰ ৬ বছৰীয়া লৰাটোৱে সুধিলে ‘হৰিণাবোৰে গছত শিংবোৰ কিয় ঘঁহে ?’
মই উত্তৰটো নজনা হেতুকে ‘মই নাজানো’ বুলি কবলগীয়া হল৷
সি ভেকাহি মাৰিলে ‘তাকো নাজানা যদি, তুমি কিহৰ বৈজ্ঞানিক?’ (মোৰ জীৱিকাৰ লগত 'বৈজ্ঞানিক' শব্দটো লাগি আছে বাবেই তাৰ এই কটাক্ষ৷ আৰু সঁচা কথাত, বৈজ্ঞানিক হ'বৰ আকাঙ্খ্যা আছিল বাবে কখাষাৰ শুনি ময়ো খুছ হ'লোঁ :-p)
মই কলোঁ ‘কাৰণ মই মই নাজানো  বুলি কৈছোঁ যে!’
‘কি??’
‘বোপাই, কেৱল বৈজ্ঞানিকৰহে মই নাজানো  বুলি কোৱাৰ সত্সাহস খাকে!’
...
পিছে পৰে বহলাই আলোচনা কৰা যাব, কিন্তু এক কথাত, ধৰ্মবিশ্বাসী সকলে বিজ্ঞানত 'বিশ্বাস' নকৰাৰ এক ডাঙৰ কাৰণ হ'ল, বিজ্ঞানে চব কথা কব নোৱাৰে, আৰু মাজে মাজেই কখা সলাই থাকে! কিন্তু সেয়াইতো বিজ্ঞানৰ 'ধৰ্ম', নহয়নে? নহলে ইও জানো সনাতন, সৰ্বজ্ঞ, অলঙ্ঘ্য, অমোঘ, অসংস্কৰণীয় ধৰ্মীয় 'জ্ঞান'-এই নহ'বগৈ?

English Version:-
What makes a Scientist?

Few years ago (2011), our 6 years son was asking "why a stag-deer rubs his antlers on trees?"
I had to admit - "I don’t know."
He mocked "What? Then what made you a scientist?" (referring to my job title which has the word 'Scientist' in it. And in fact, I too enjoyed the title, since I always wanted to be a real scientist)

I replied - "because I said 'I Don’t know!' "
Perplexed, he asked - "What do you mean?"
"Son, only a scientist can afford to say 'I Don’t know!’ "
...
Simply put, believers often cite the the reason why they don't have 'faith' in science was that - because it can not explain everything, it can not do everything (create life etc.), and on top of that, it keeps changing its 'ideas' from time to time. But that's what makes it science, right? It is a non stop journey to acquire more complete , more accurate knowledge about. It always questions itself & refines itself - without any ego or arrogance. Otherwise won't it be the same as the timeless, omniscient, unquestionable, irreparable, undisputable religious 'faiths' ?

No comments:

Post a Comment